My friend, Linda, is the first on the right. She also came down from Taos and tried, tried, tried avoiding me and the camera!
LOCAL AND STATE OF NEW MEXICO EVENTS:
- October 3rd and 4th is the El Rito Studio Tour...my all time favorite is the Vanderbrooks. Pottery, painting, photography, collage and mixed media are their mediums and all done well.
- October 3rd and 4th is the Wool Festival in Kit Carson Park, Taos, New Mexico.
- October 3rd through 11th is the Albuquerque International Balloon Festival.
- October 23rd through 25th is the Taos Mountain Balloon Rally.
- October 6th through 29th the Stables Gallery in Taos presents "Pressing on 5" - 17 contemporary printmakers are featured.
- Through January 17, 2016 the New Mexico Museum of Art in Santa Fe presents "O'Keeffe in Process".
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL:
- Through February 7th, 2016 MOMA in New York City features Picasso Sculpture - over 100 pieces of sculpture "complimented by selected works on paper and photographs."
- Through October 19th, "Jeff Koons: A Retrospective" continues at the Whitney in New York City"
- Through October 19th, "Joseph Cornell's Wanderlust" continues at the Royal Academy of the Arts in London, England.
- Ai Weiwei is also at the Royal Academy of the Arts, London through December 13th.
- The Royal Academy of the Arts is on the move with an exhibit of the ceramics of Edmund de Waal. If you are a movie or book buff you will recall his "Woman in Gold".
- Through October 11th Agnes Martin's "Retrospective" will be on view at the Tate in London.
MUST NOT MISS:
- The Nisa Touchon Fine Art Gallery in Santa Fe. Open approximately 5 months. The gallery specializes in collage and mixed media. The upstairs is devoted to the Museum of Collage. It is well worth a trip to Santa Fe just to take in this gallery.
- The Broad Museum in Los Angeles has just opened on September 20th. This is a most unique museum for the fact that there are no entrance fees. Edythe and Eli Broad showcase over 2000 pieces of contemporary art (their own collection). Artists include, Cindy Sherman, Andy Warhol, Basquiat, Chuck Close and many, many more.
- The 2016 Pirelli calendar is out! In the past it has been quite racy. This year it features 12 provocative photos by Annie Liebovitz which include Patti Smith, Yoko Ono, and Tavi Gevinson.
- "Living in a Fairytale World" by Mr. Finch is a book for all fabric artists out there. He uses leather, old tapestries, roadside finds to create butterflies, birds, bulbs, bunnies, spiders, moths, mice and much more. Wow!
Happy Autumn! See you next month.