Welcome back! This month I will be doing a tribute to the late, great Hannelore Baron whose assemblages and collages have been making quite the smashing hit in the art world lately. First with the Jack Rutberg Fine Art Gallery in Los Angeles and now at the Leslie Feely Gallery in New York City.
Before I begin I would like to note that I will be making one slight change at the end of the blog by listing the "Must Not Miss" before exhibitions.
HANNELORE BARON TRIBUTE
She was a Jewish immigrant whose family escaped from Germany following being expelled from their school, their father being beaten with a hammer by the Nazis then placed at Dachau and fleeing by foot to the French border where she and her mother and brother were arrested and sent back. They finally escaped to New York but Hannelore was haunted all her living days with images of her father's beating and the traumatic events that followed.
Her work is basically a reaction to the hardships endured as an adolescent and are often dark. She has been singled out as one of the contemporary art's finest in her particular medium and "a spiritual sister to Paul Klee".
YouTube has an exceptionally relevant video titled "Hannelore Baron: A Collage and Assemblage Exhibition" produced by Jack Rutberg of Jack Rutberg Fine Arts.
I share with you here a few of her images:
Her art is basically recycled or upcycled and I have done my own tribute to her this month with my own recycled/upcycled art. I hope you enjoy!
"NOT SO LONG AGO"
All my artwork is available at: www.thefullcirclestudio.com
MUST NOT MISS
- If you are a book artist or just a lover of book art, check out "360 Mt. Fuji" at: www.thisiscolossal.com They also have a number of flip books available.
- Connor Everts passed on April 24th leaving us a legacy of phenomenal contemporary art. You may view his work at: www.connoreverts.com
- Another fine collage artist is Lee McKenna. Using photos and miscellaneous ephemera, wonderful collages are the result. The website is: www.leemckenna.tumbir.com
- Will Farrell (yes, the comedian) has created a short film about the metal insect sculptures of Edouard Martinet for London's Sladmore Contemporary. View at: www.sladmorecontemporary.com
- Joe Freedman has created the Duograph which is said to create infinite numbers of geometric design. It is a Kickstarter extravaganza!
- Debuting in September on PBS is "Make It Artsy" - can't wait!
- Chameleon Pens are now available from the U.K. based Chameleon Art Products and said to create over 100 color tones with only 20 markers. They are available at Amazon.
LOCAL COLORADO AND NEW MEXICO EVENTS
- Samurai" continues at the Denver Art Museum through June 5th.
- "Mabel Dodge Luhan and Company: American Moderns and the West" is on view at the Harwood Museum in Taos through September 11th.
- "Modern Art in Taos: The Second Chapter" will be on view at 203 Fine Arts in Taos through June 30th.
- "Small is the New Big" at Nisa Touchon Fine Art in Santa Fe through June 15th. This gallery is renowned for its collage work and an upstairs collage museum.
- The Carol Coates exhibit continues at Tansey Contemporary in Santa Fe through June 5th.
- Lance Letscher has new works at Tai Modern in Santa Fe from June 3rd through July 2nd.
- "Presence/Absence" opens at Vivo Contemporary in Santa Fe from June 1 through August 15th.
- The Santa Fe Studio Tour is June 18th and 19th then June 25th and 26th.
- "Rust and Clay" New Works by Kelly Whitcomb" available at Mariposa Gallery in Albuquerque from June 3rd through the 30th.
- First and foremost, "Unseen Work by Hannelore Baron" at the Leslie Feely Gallery in New York City through July 16th.
- Works of Gerhard Richter at Marian Goodman Gallery in New York City through June 25th.
- The World Stamp Show - NY 2016 is now happening through June 4th in New York City.
- "Edgar Degas: A Strange New Beauty" at MOMA in New York City through July 24th.
- "Andy Goldsworthy: Roof" is ongoing at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.
- "Marc Chagall: Orphee" is also ongoing at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.
- Works of Agnes Martin are on view at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art through September 11th.
- "Cindy Sherman: Imitation of Life" will be on view at the Broad Museum in Los Angeles from June 11th thought October 2nd.
- Paper artist, Cara Barer presents "Condrillon" at Bermagot Station Arts Center in Santa Monica, California through July 23rd.
- "Alexander Calder: Motion Lab" at MOMA in San Francisco through September 10th.
- "Andrea Stanislav: Convergence Infinite" at the St. Louis Art Museum through June 19th.
- Three new mirror room installations by Yayoi Kusama will be on view at two galleries in London: the Victoria Miro Gallery and the Victoria Miro Mayfair Gallery from June 3rd through 18th.
- "Conceptual Art in Britain: 1964-1979" at Tate Modern, London through August 29th.
- "Ai Weiwei 360" remains on view through November 20th at the Royal Academy of Arts, London.
- "Exhibitionism: The Rolling Stones" remains on view at the Saatchi Gallery, London through September 4th.
- "From Kandinsky to Pollock" will be on view at the Gugenheim in Florence, Italy through July 24th.
So much to see and so little time. Stay creative and enjoy life.
If you have any questions, you may contact me at: email@example.com or view all my available work at: www.thefullcirclestudio.com