Some artists have one style or genre they work in and others alternate between genres...that's me! Our creative stylings change and I prefer to vacillate as I learn new things.
This month I present you with two genres. My first two pieces are my usual, but the last four are in the style I frequented most while living in St. Louis. Because of my collection of oddities, etc. I wanted to use some of these accumulated pieces and tickle your creative palates.
MUST NOT MISS
- Check out the artwork of Larry Calkins at: www.calkinsart.net
- The film "Florence" with Meryl Streep is out about the eccentric opera 'wannabe' who booked Carnegie Hall to showcase her voice which was quite lacking and which she seemed to be quite oblivious to how it was perceived. The film focuses on the year leading to the performance which received a standing ovation for her overwhelming audacity.
- The Japanese blog 'SRI Threads" at threads.srithreads.com features textiles, ephemera, and images of Japan. There haven't been recent postings but still well work the looking.
- For gorgeous mixed media vessels, view the site: www.gizellakwarburton.co.uk
- Intoxicating is the only word for the collages of Waldemar Stremple which can be viewed at: https.strempleart.tumbir.com
LOCAL COLORADO AND NEW MEXICO EVENTS
- "Women of Abstract Impressionism" continues at the Denver Art Museum through September 25th.
- "The Presence of Light" continues at Taos, New Mexico's Town Hall through August 5th. This is a group photography show featuring Robbie Stienbach.
- Ronald Davis' "Still Alive" continues through August 31st at the Hulse-Warman Gallery in Taos, New Mexico.
- Poteet Victory has added a new piece to his Abbreviated Portrait Series and can be viewed at McLarry Modern. The piece is titled "DNLD TRM" - oh, so fun!
- August is ART MONTH in Santa Fe.
- "The Space Within" will be featured at Vivo Contemporary in Santa Fe from August 16th through October 31st. Their shows are always group exhibits with some of Santa Fe's finest.
- The late, great NY Times photographer, Bill Cunningham's exhibit of the 1973 "Battle of Versailles" fashion show is on exhibit at SCAD FASH in Atlanta, Georgia.
- "Burning Man" at Black Rock Desert, Nevada runs from August 28th through September 5th.
- "This is Collage" is at Haphazard in Los Angeles through August 6th.
- "Cindy Sherman: Imitation of Life" continues at the Broad in Los Angeles through August 6th.
- "Metamorphosis: The Art of Altered Books" continues through November 6th at the Fuller Craft Museum in Brockton, Massachusetts.
- "20/20 Vision" introduces 20 emerging book artists at the San Francisco Center for the Book through October 16th.
- "Georgia O'Keeffe" is on view at Tate Modern in London through October 30th.
- "Kurt Schwitters-Merz" continues through September 30th at Galerie Gmurzynska in Zurich.
- "400 Van Cleef and Arpels Jewels" is on exhibit at Marina Bay Sands Hotel through August 14th in Singapore.
- The Venice Film Festival runs August 31st through September 10th.
- " 20th Century American Masters" is on view at Galerie Gmurzynski in St. Moritz through September 4th.
From time to time we all need something to get us out of the art doldrums; so I leave you with "Seven Tips to Spark Creativity":
1. Take a trip to an art museum or gallery.
2. Clean your work space.
3. Keep an 'inspiration box' (or notebook) with ideas for future work.
4. Be observant of your surroundings.
5. Sleep on it.
6. Remember there are no mistakes.
7. Believe in yourself.
Have a wonderful August and remember you may contact me at anytime at: firstname.lastname@example.org or view all my art at: www.thefullcirclestudio.com
I also post work on Pinterest, Facebook, and Etsy.