This month I will address artist's block and title it "VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE".
Yes, all artists, musicians, writers, etc. experience artist's block. Mine always occurs around the holidays when there is so much going on. There are ways to get past this.
DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!
When I experience it I change styles and I will give 3 examples of my art that are totally different. Yes, variety. If you are a watercolorist try oil or acrylics. If you are a collage artist try assemblage or the opposite. I do mostly collage and when I have a block I will experiment by having a slew of papers lying in front of me, closing my eyes, choosing 5 pieces then creating something from those pieces. If 5 isn't enough try 7 or 9 or whatever appeals to you.
ARTSY suggests the following.
1. Eliminating distractions such as phones and computers. 2. Seek solitude. 3. Go for a walk. 4. Declutter. 5. Listen to music or daydream. 6. Try coloring.
You will note that the following pieces I have created are quite different. As said above, changing styles can help.
By doing something different you will find it also eliminates boredom with what one is creating. Try it; you just may find that artists block is a thing of the past.
MUST NOT MISS
- According to ARTSY the following are 2017's Most Influential Artists. Check them out: Pierre Huyghe, Carolee Shneeman, Mark Bradford, Camille Henrot, Ai Wei Wei, Lubaina Himid, Wolfgang Tillmans, Njideka Akunyili Crosby, Barbara Kruger, Yayoi Kusama, Haroon Mirza, Cindy Sherman, and David Hockney...just to name a few.
- "Future Shock" through May 1st at Site Santa Fe, Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Vivo Contemporary in Santa Fe, New Mexico's latest show "Renewal" will be on exhibit through March 13th.
- "Geometry of Spirit" the prints and photos of Robbie Steinbach will be on exhibit at the Taos Inn, Taos, New Mexico through May 14th.
- The William Havu Gallery in Denver, Colorado presents "Shape Shifter' the works of Zachariah Rieke of Santa Fe through March 3rd.
- "Degas: A Passion for Perfection" is on view at the Denver Art Museum from February 11th through May 20th in Denver, Colorado.
- Denver, Colorado's Museum of Contemporary Art presents "Shadow of Men" works by Dleon Peterson from February 2nd through May 27th. Shepard Fairey will interview Peterson on February 12th.
- "Birds of a Feather" (Joseph Cornell's homage to Juan Gris) at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City through April 14th.
- New York City's Gugenheim Museum presents "Danh Vo: Take My Breath Away" from February 9th through May
- "Soul of a Nation runs through April 23rd at Crystal Bridges Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas.
- "Robert Raushenberg: Erasing the Rules" runs through March 25th at MOMA in San Francisco, California.
- "Jasper Johns: Something Resembling Truth" will be at The Broad, Los Angeles, California starting February 10th through May 13th.
- Gerhard Richter's "About Paint" continues at S.M.A.K., Ghent, Belgium through February 18th.
- The Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto, Ontario, Canada continues the celebration of Christian Dior 70th Anniversary through March 18th.
In closing, artist's block can be frustrating for artists but do not give in and do something, anything creative. You WILL overcome it.
You may contact me anytime by emailing me at: livingartontheedge@gmailcom
All my artwork is on view at: www.thefullcirclestudio.com